Friday, April 22, 2011

Special Moment with Aine

We have taken on a challange given to us by Pam. Everyday this week we show the kids a picture of Christ and what he was doing on that day of the last week of his life. Then we talk about what He did and read some scriptures on it. Yesterday was an extra special topic, the Last Supper and The Garden of Gethsemane.

Aine and I had a little one on one time in the morning and I wanted to prep her for the topic that night. I wanted to impress on her the importance of what Jesus did. I told her that while He was in the Garden He suffered for our sins. But He also suffered for the things that would be hard in our lives.

She's had a hard time going to bed lately. She cries from her room down to us, "It's hard to go to bed". So, I used that as an example. Jesus even suffered so He could help with how hard it is to go to bed. I told her all she needed to do was pray and ask Heavenly Father in Jesus' name to help her with going to bed.

Then she said, "Yea, and Jesus can come to my house and read me a story." That is the faith of a child. At that moment the spirit taught me what to say to her. I told her that Jesus may not be able to come to our house right now because He has a lot to do, but He did give her a mommy and daddy that could be here for her when He could not.

I don't know if she understood. She probably thought it was something I said to cover up, but it wasn't. I thought about it a lot yesterday. Jesus wants to be here with our kids. He loves children. I'm sure He would love to spend every moment with them, but He can't. Instead He gave them Moms and Dads. He gave Aine and Tanner me and Spencer.

It humbled me and gave me a fresh perspective on my motherhood. I want to do with Aine and Tanner what Jesus would do. I want to do what He wants for them. It's sweet to think that sometimes that means dropping everything and reading Aine another Curious George story.

I can't say it enough, but I love being a mom. I know that it is a divine calling and gift from our Heavenly Father and I am thankful.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love to read your posts. You are such a good mom and an inspiration to us all to teach our children the truths of the gospel!