Last night I was able to attend our ward's Enrichment Night in which Bill Rowley came to speak to us about Emma Smith. I have to admit that overall I have known very little about Emma's life, except for the stories I have heard in church and such. I am humbled by her life, what she had to go through and what she was able to do. While hearing about how she dealt with the deaths of 8 loved ones within 7 months and all recently before being called to serve as the first Relief Society president, I felt so foolish for the many times I have given into self-pity. My life and all the responsibility it entails felt like nothing when compared to sweet Emma's. I often feel so down because I can't be home with Aine, but instead go to work to support Spencer while he finishes school. But that is nothing in comparison to Emma's support of her husband while facing many hardships, like the loss of her children and moving around so much. I complain about having to live in an apartment instead of our own home and in just the years she was married to Joseph she only lived in her own home for so few. She was at the mercy of others so often. I have promised myself to remember her example when I am feeling overwhelmed by what is going on in my life. I know that it was through the support of Heavenly Father that she was able to go through so much and I know that He will also support me as I struggle. I will try to be an uncomplaining support to Spencer, Aine and anyone else I can serve. I know that God will bless Emma; she truly is a dear and special woman, An Elect Lady.

3 comments:
It's nice to have an example like her to put things into perspective for us. Thanks for sharing your testimony.
Thanks for commenting on our blog, your blog is awesome. The pictures of your family are awesome. What a beautiful little girl you have, thank you for your testimony about Emma. School will go by fast, so just hang in there.
Love,
Jeff & JoAnn
What a great example! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment